Thursday, October 15, 2009

Following the Prophet, or just busy?

I thought about President Monson's talk in the Sunday session of conference in relation to my week last week. I spent the week teaching writing in Caleb's class, proofing the conference edition of the Ensign, preparing and going to Cub Scouts, babysitting my neighbor's kids, running the after-school choir at our school, making grape juice, contributing to the school auction, preparing my singing time for Primary, and the normal taking care of the house things. I got money for none of those items. This is actually a pretty normal week for me. So, President Monson talked about doing more and giving a little bit of yourself, and I was feeling kind of bad that I wasn't doing more for other people and then I realized that this is what a mother does. She does what she does without much regard for rhyme or reason. I looked at my week and realized that I do give to others, but it is so expected that I don't even realize it. (I am also sometimes spending my time trying not to resent it.) It is rare for me to walk out of a conference and actually feel like I am doing something right that it took me by surprise. There were plenty of other things I felt guilty about, but I do serve other people once in awhile. Okay, I know I can always do more, but I was okay about it. Isn't it interesting to be part of an organization where service is just expected? I think it keeps us a little more gracious. Now, to just help my children realize that service is a part of life and that you don't have to be asked to do things...

1 comment:

Kerren said...

Hi Traci,
Just came across your blog and wanted to let you know I've enjoyed reading and thinking about your entries. You are so right -- the service given is rather routine, expected, and taken for granted. It's just part of who we are. I loved thinking about what you do with your days, and the contributions you're making in do many ways. You and Melissa should get together about your Primary Chorister callings. She thinks she has the best job in the church. I think she has the most fun, for sure. Just wanted to say "hi." Also, wanted to let you know that we join you with our prayers for your dad and his health challenges. Love you all!
Aunt Kerren