Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Emma Movie(s)

Okay, so we have our own Emma, and she is in a lot of the movies on our shelf, but these thoughts revolve around the Emma movie recently produced by Masterpiece Theater. There is no reason at all why I should be thinking so much about this, but I have been.
This is my favorite version of Emma yet. I thought Romola Garai (never even heard of her before) did a fabulous job showing the energy, the busibodiness, and whole range of honest emotions felt by Emma. Her facial expressions were darling and she was completely comfortable in her role.
I borrowed the Gwenyth Paltrow version from the library and watched it to see the differences. I know that they only had half of the screen time to tell the same story, but Knightly was so much better in the PBS version. My big exception being that I loved in that version when Emma says "Now I shall call you 'My Mr. Knightly.'" Such a tender line, and so sweetly spoken!
Anyway, if you want to watch it, you can see if online at PBS.com. It is lovely, and even if you have read the book, you will still like the movie.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Oh. I will have to watch it! I love Emma!
Our science project was an ordeal too. Congrats to your boys!
W

Melissa said...

I can't wait to watch this... Did you know I have my own Jane Aust(i)n? :) We figured it would be hard to find a better author to name a child after.